Wellness Just for Today
Wellness Just for Today
Sometimes we have to fight for our happiness. What does that mean you say? Sometimes it is simply a form of mindfulness and behavioural activation. Focusing on the good, being grateful for what we have and letting go of negative feelings or people around us that do not create atmosphere cheerfulness and joy. So let us remember the words of William James: “Much of what we call evil…can often be converted into a bracing and toxic good by a simple change of the sufferer’s inner attitude from one of fear to one of fight‘. Simply reflecting by change of though and attitude you can make a bad situation/thought into a positive and productive moment.
I came across this written passage by Sibyl F. Partridge, he wrote this passage called “JUST FOR TODAY”, the aim was eliminate our worries and increase immeasurably our portion of what the french call la joie de vivre.
So lets just try to live by these statements Just for Today:
- Just for today I will be happy. This assumes that when Abraham Lincoln said is true, that ‘most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.’ Happiness is from within; it is not a matter of externals.
- Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my business, and my luck as they come and fit myself to them.
- Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse it nor neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my building.
- Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.
- Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways;I will do somebody a good return and not get found out. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do, as William James suggests, just for exercise.
- Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can dress becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticise not at all, nor find fault with anything and not try to regulate nor improve anyone.
- Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not to tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime.
- Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests, hurrying and indecision.
- Just for today I will have a quiet half-hue all by myself and relax. In this half-hour sometimes I will think of God, Universe or someone I am grateful for, so as to get a little more perspective into my life.
- Just for today I will be unafraid, especially I will not be afraid to be happy, to enjoy what is beautiful, to love, and to believe that those I love, love me.
If we want to develop a mental attitude that will bring us peace and happiness…just start thinking and acting cheerful, and you will feel cheerful. Your smile is beautiful. Smile.
By Dr Farah Nadeem